Simple clean flavors, and artfully presented
Cold crisp watermelon is cubed along with Turkish cucumbers – then it’s given a little Moroccan twist. Tossed with red onion, toasted pistachios, parsley, mint and a light vinaigrette, it’s sprinkled with a pinch of ground clove and optional feta crumbles. Quick and simple to make, it is light and refreshing summer salad.
The addition of parsley and onion in this salad.
Also, to me, watermelon must be served ice-cold. When making this, either refrigerate the watermelon beforehand, or leave time before serving the salad to have it in the fridge until it’s thoroughly chilled.
And though this salad is best served the on day it is made, it does seem to keep pretty well for a couple of days, so be sure to save the leftovers.
The feta is optional. I like it both ways…with and with out. See what you think, and remember if leaving the feta off, you may need to add a little more salt.
The pistachios are a nice addition, giving it great texture. Make sure they are roasted or toasted, otherwise they may get soggy in the salad.
- 4-5 Cups watermelon cut into ¾-1 inch cubes
- 4 turkish cucumbers ( or one English) cut into ¾ inch cubes
- ¼ Cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ Cup chopped mint
- ½ Cup chopped Italian parsley
- ¼-½ Cup crumbled feta cheese ( optional)
- ¼ C toasted pistachios
- ¼ C olive oil
- ⅛ C red wine or white balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp salt, more to taste
- cracked pepper
- a pinch ground clove
- Place watermelon, cucumber and onion in a large bowl. Add herbs, feta and pistachios.
- Gently mix.
- Add olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix to incorporate